Winter can be tough on outdoor furniture. The cold weather and snow can damage and break them, while the ice can make them slippery and dangerous to use. In the first part of this article, we shared some tips on how to care for outdoor fixtures made from wood, metal, and plastic. For part two, let’s discuss care tips for other popular outdoor furniture materials like teak and wicker.
Here’s how to keep them safe during the winter season:
If You Have Wicker Outdoor Furniture
Wicker outdoor fixtures are an excellent option for those who want to enjoy the outdoors without worrying about the maintenance of traditional wood furnishings. However, wicker fixtures can be susceptible to damage from the elements if it is not adequately cared for. Here are some tips on how to winterproof your outdoor wicker items:
- Before the winter season, apply a weatherproof sealant to your wicker furniture. It will help to protect them from the elements and prevent any moisture from getting in and causing damage.
- If possible, store your wicker items indoors during winter. It will help to keep your items in good condition and prevent any damage from the cold weather.
- If you cannot store them indoors, cover them when it is not in use. Use a tarp or furniture cover to protect it from the elements. If your wicker furnishings get wet, dry them off as soon as possible. Wet wicker can become brittle and damage easily.
- Before storing your wicker furnishings for the winter, clean and dry them thoroughly. That step will help prevent mold or mildew from growing in them.
- Inspect them regularly for any signs of damage. If you see any cracks or splits in the wicker, repair them immediately to prevent further damage.
If You Have Teak Outdoor Furniture
As the weather gets colder, it’s essential to take steps to winterproof your teak outdoor furniture. Here are some tips to help you keep them in top condition:
- Store your furniture in a dry, sheltered place. If you can’t store them indoors, cover them with a tarp or plastic sheeting to protect them from the elements.
- Clean them regularly. Remove any dirt, dust, or debris accumulated on the surface.
- Apply a teak sealer to your furnishings. It will help protect the wood from the elements and prevent it from drying out.
- Bring cushions and other removable items inside. Cold weather can damage these items, so they should be stored indoors during winter.
- Check for signs of damage. Inspect your furniture regularly for any cracks, splits, or other damage. If you notice any damage, take steps to repair it immediately.
Following these tips can help ensure that your teak outdoor items stay in top condition for many years.
Winter can be tough on outdoor fixtures. The cold weather and harsh conditions can cause damage to them, making it essential to take measures to protect them during the winter months. Taking care of outdoor furniture in winter is essential to prolonging the life of the items and keeping them looking their best. Some simple tips are cleaning the units regularly, storing them in a dry place, and protecting them from the elements. Following these tips, you can enjoy your outdoor fixtures for years.
When you buy outdoor patio furniture in Orlando from Palm Casual, you get high-quality pieces that will last for years. Our factory prices mean you don’t have to sacrifice style for the budget. Come see us today at one of our convenient locations.