Spring is here and summer will be in a few months. We all know that the warmer weather brings longer days – perfect time for those outdoor house parties and BBQ get-togethers! Entertaining people takes more than just providing good food, music, and vibes. You should also consider your outdoor lighting as it should be of importance, most especially if you’re hosting a party at night. Having the proper lighting to your patio or deck adds great value to any home.
Light during the day is different from how it is seen come night time. It is more important, of course, to have proper lighting at night – especially in pathways and other outdoor spaces. There are several principles that you must keep in mind when choosing the right lighting. For one, light varies in intensity, emitted quantity, and color. Whether you’re using light indoors or outdoors, lighting is divided into three layers:
- Overall: This provides illumination for a whole space or room.
- Task: This is used for a specific purpose (i.e. lighting up a path)
- Accent: This draws attention to an area or an object – usually accomplished with floodlights or spotlights.
There is a variety of bulbs that are suitable for outdoor fixtures:
- Incandescent bulbs – emit pleasing light but have a short life; also consume more electricity
- Halogen bulbs – similar to incandescent bulbs but more efficient; have longer life and consume less energy
- Fluorescents – available in more colors and have longer life; consume less energy
- LED bulbs – more expensive but have long life; consume extremely low energy
Benefits of Outdoor Lighting
- Beauty – Having the right outdoor lighting creates a pleasing ambiance on decks and patios. It also helps in making the exterior of a home more appealing from the sidewalk. It definitely adds a touch of elegance.
- Security – When you have outdoor lighting, you also help keep your home secure. If your entryways, garages and dark walkways are well-illuminated, you will easily see potential intruders and anomalies.
- Safety – Another important benefit of having outdoor lighting is safety. By keeping your pathways well-lit during a house party, it is easier for your guests to navigate their way around without losing their steps.
Now that you know the importance of having proper outdoor lighting, you might want to check out some awesome patio furniture items that will be great additions to your outdoor living space. Check out Palm Casual for more information.